Sunday, January 24, 2016

Reading Reflection

In this chapter, the dark side of entrepreneurship stood out to me the most. I expected financial and career risk of course but I did not expect to read about social and psychic risk. Definitely something I would be weary of.

I found the piece on rationalizations and the various roles (failure, distortion and assertion) to be confusing and I had to reread this piece to fully understand its point. I think it is interesting that this book to an approach that incorporated the qualities of a successful entrepreneur like energy, vision and passion and coupled them with the values and ethics that attribute to this success.

I don't necessarily believe that the influence of an owner is greater in a small business than a large corporation because of diffusing leadership through layers. If an owner has a strong value system and inspires his managers to hold those same values that leadership should carry throughout the company. If it doesn't I think that is a lack of effort by the owner.

Questions for the author:

1. I understand there must be a tolerance for ambiguity but how does an entrepreneur deal with setbacks?  What tips can we use?

2. How can we avoid becoming unrealistic optimists?

No comments:

Post a Comment