Sunday, February 7, 2016

Customer Interview No. 2

Since the first round, I have decided that my business opportunity needs to adapt to be include both off campus and on campus students. I realized from my interviews that many students who live off campus also don't have cars which I did not expect.

I did not get to complete the first round of interviews because I had no idea how to approach customers. I changed that in this round by standing in one hallway and asking people if they wanted to be part of my class project and eventually I found enough people willing to participate. I found it is important that you are not in a rush.

Through this experience, I have learned that it can be hard to attract someones attention and interrupt their day. Not many people were willing to participate especially because they did not want to be recorded. I also learned how important consumer input is because it gave insight to many things I had not yet thought about.

I would suggest to future students that:
1. You stay in one area or building to interview. I found it easier to find willing participants by staying in one hallway of CSE and asking people as they passed by.

2. Think your questions through beforehand and try to make them all yes or no questions. Most people I interviewed didn't want to do participate if it was more than a basic yes or no.

3. Tell people up front that you are videoing them for class. Many participants I talked to did not want to be recorded but some of them still participated once I told them it was for class.

Here are my 5 interviews of the week!


2 comments:

  1. Nice series of questions; and it can certainly be difficult to grab folks so good job on your interviews! That said I think you may be looking at the wrong population to support your idea. You got some affirmatives; people looking to spend $5-10 on grocery delivery. However, as a 35 year father of 3 my wife and I would pay an extra $20-25 easily to have our groceries delivered just to save that hour a week to spend with our kids or on any number of other projects. If you were to restrict to on campus delivery you might be cheaper overhead wise but you may want to target people in the grocery store? Hang out in the cereal isle and ask your questions of people with fuller carts (hints they have larger families). Good luck and nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that these questions are very concise and it allows for more specific questions to be asked. Yes and no questions allow the interviewer to get specific information. Maybe you could try to have some more specific details for the person you interview? Like, give them a price and ask if they would pay for it. Maybe you could even have a monthly, bi-weekly, or weekly deliveries for people to choose from? I think that it is a great idea and could have much wider influence than just groceries too. Just have an on-call staff for any sort of errands that don't require personal attention and are inconvenient? Great job on the interviews though! If you want to see my idea, also food related, check it out here: http://intellectualramble.blogspot.com/2016/02/interviewing-customers-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete