Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Idea Napkin No. 2

I have personal experience working in Sales and experience traveling to foreign countries. I have personal skills in in time management, leadership and organization. I'm also part of a roughly 100 person community service group that gives me a good networking base. 

I am offering a delivery service of groceries who do not have the time or resources to shop all through a convenient app. 

My original demographic was primarily students and especially those without cars. After some comments from peers I have concluded that it may be advantageous to include adults and the elderly in the surrounding area who would be willing to pay more for this service than a college student and who would also be more willing to tip drivers.

People will pay for this service because they value the time with their families and time for studies. Also some students and elderly do not have transportation means and are willing to pay a fee to overcome this obstacle.

What sets me apart is that I am a college student here on campus and I know the campus well and students would not feel uncomfortable dealing with someone their age. Also I am not aware of any other business offering this service.

I believe that all of these things combine together to make a solid business model. I think I need to strengthen my focus on a demographic and determine how advantageous it is to do more vs less customers.I also need to explore what kind of up front costs I would have to cover. 

FEEDBACK MEMO

Things I realized I should consider based on peer comments were that...

  • an app is enticing to customers and is convenient for people with little time 
  • this is an up and coming idea and will likely very soon have competitors to consider 
  • partnering with a grocery store could bring in extra clients 
  • the elderly cant drive just as much as college students 
  • adults tip more than college students 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kaila,

    You have a very strong opening paragraph which is backed by plenty of experience which allows you to make a strong case. I like how you incorporated your feedback from your previous posts and used it to tweak your evolving idea. Although I don't believe there is a need for this service in my life, I am sure that there are people out there that would utilize this service. A quick Google search shows me that this service already exists, but not here in Gainesville. I believe you would have to act fast and establish a competitive advantage quickly before existing companies enter our market. Good luck with your concept! If you have a chance, check out my napkin located in the link below. I would greatly value your feedback.

    Richard

    http://richardjeffries.blogspot.com/2016/02/idea-napkin-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kaila,

    Awesome experience! You've also done a great job at listening to feedback and learning from it. I think people would use this service, but I think you should do more research as to how to better differentiate yourself from other similar business to this. It is good to note that you are a college student who knows the campus well, but I think there could be some other way to make your service better! Best of luck!

    Here is a link to my post: http://paigecarlent3003.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kaila,

    I believe your personal experiences definitely show great qualities for the market you want to be in. I think it was a great move to sell yourself first, showing that your strengths are a perfect fit for the service you want to create. I believe it was also great that you listened to the feedback you got. Definitely more research should be conducted if its an actual service you want to push and hopefully one day make. I've heard of similar services to your idea, but it's definitely not about how good an idea is but about execution and you sell yourself as one who could definitley execute this service and make it grow with all your connections. Check my blog out if you want! https://vincityblog.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete