Wednesday, March 23, 2016

My Unfair Advantage

Resources
1. Delta Nu Zeta
V-gives me a starting network of contacts
R-is one of only a few large organizations
I-membership is not easily attained
N-one of only two chapters in the US

2. Location
V-within one mile of 6 different grocery stores (publix, target, walmart, trader joes, earthfare and winn dixie)
R-stores are usually miles apart and I can please more customers with a variety of tastes 
I-you cant control where new businesses will go so it would be very hard to replicate in another area
N-I'm sure other cities have similar designs but probably not such variety 

3. Flexibility
V-gives me the opportunity to work different hours of the day
R-most people work or have in person classes to attend 
I-would be very difficult for someone to have a full time job or classes and do the same thing
N-I'm sure other people could also be flexible 

4. Facebook
V- gives you access to much more feedback
R-the groups are not rare but their honest feedback can be considered rare in other formats
I-Other resources could imitate feedback but with fb its a large supply
N-you could use other sites like Twitter but I consider FB the best method to find groups that correspond to your ideas

5. The Alligator
V-Is direct contact with the students
R-Many papers have a broader scope but this one is designed for specific local purposes
I-Other papers exist but they are not delivered to my sepecific target of clients
N- Other newspapers circulate campus but the Alligator is the most credible source for students 

6. Nanny Job
V-Gives me access tof amilies that need help balancing jobs/kids/etc
R-Not everyone gets to speak with these families in person
I-Other ways eist to get in touch with busy parents like through school events but they ar emore likely to trust csomeone already working for them 
N- Limited number of nannys

7. Customers
V-See a different side of the business 
R-Customers enjoy a business that will incorpoarte their ideas to appeal to their needs 
I-Everyone has customers
N-Cant get rid of them, you need them to succeed. 

8. Family
V- they see your dream and they also see reality and they can help you go after things realistically so you dont bite off more than you can handle 
R-very rare! you only have one family and no one knows your skills like they do 
I-No one can provide the same support they can.
N-No

9. Company Website
V-Can tell a story that customers resignate with
R- gives you a chance to give an impression to people at a distance 
I-its your business no one else can is going to have infromation about your business on their site 
N-you could have reviews on yelp but its not the same as showing people what you offer on your own site 

10. Partnerships 
V-Give you support to weather the storm
R-have a business model and support that is different than the love of a parent
I-you could get this from any business so yes
N-a partnership could be with just a person instead 


3 comments:

  1. I find all of your unfair advantages to be extremely intriguing. I like the way you laid it out in VRIN format, making things very clear. Location and customers were the two things that I felt were your strongest advantage with your business. Location helps a lot, because like you said, you're taking advantage of a very unique situation. Also, customers are the end-game in any business, so that is a clear advantage as well. I don't necessarily believe The Alligator is a strong advantage, but you could make it one. Steering clear of controversial things like the Alligator would be a safer bet for a start up.

    If you'd like to check out my blog, here is the link: http://entrepreneurshipleslie.blogspot.com/2016/03/my-unfair-advantage.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kaila,

    I really enjoyed your blog post. I agree with Lauren about the layout of the post. It made if very easy to read. I think all your advantages are extremely important. I think the most important are the advantages that allow you to network with others, like your sorority. I think family could either be a good advantage or a disadvantage. Some families don't know how to be honest with each other when it comes to certain things that could hurt feelings. They don't always say what needs to be said. Unfortunately, I did not do this assignment but here is a link to my blog

    http://eastonmcginty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaila,

    I think you hit this right on the head. All of your advantages are very good ones, especially your Delta advantage. It's very important to have a good network of peers that can not only give you feedback but to help you out if you need it. My friends are wonderful in this aspect as well.

    You can check out my post here:
    http://jessgervais.blogspot.com/2016/03/my-unfair-advantage.html

    ReplyDelete