SHOP & DROP
Opportunity:
My business concept will benefit a wide variety of individuals who lack time or transportation to accomplish every day tasks like grocery shopping. My original and still primary target is students. I have expanded my customer base to include families residing in Gainesville and also the elderly.
The amount of students residing in Gainesville makes this business have a large customer base. The additional parking restraints on campus make the number of students without cars even higher.
Currently customers are having to accomplish this task through different avenues. They may hire individuals through unsatisfactory websites know for scams like craigslist and care.com or they may take extra measures to find transportation such as the RTS bus system. Unfortunately this bus system is only free to students and faculty so others have to pay for the service. Also, while it may be free for students and faculty, it is not always convenient as many routes only run during normal business hours when customers are in class or at work.
This business idea has the opportunity to make a lot of money if it is marketed correctly and the price is fair. The window will remain open so long as other companies do not arise offering the same service.
Innovation:
This business idea is a service that will provide transportation of groceries from the store to the home of the customer. The customer will download the app and compile a list of groceries they would like purchased. They will select a date and time range for delivery. After they have completed their order, they will pay the cost of the groceries as well as an additional fee for the service. The service fee will be a flat $15 for orders under $100 and $20 for orders over $100 with an additional $5 fee for customers who live outside the predetermined area. There will be a special $5 discount for students with a UF ID.
Venture Concept:
This service eliminates the time and transportation issues that people of Gainesville face. Families without time to shop can have groceries delivered to their door. Students without a car do not have to take the bus or plan their day around the RTS bus schedule. Faculty can have their groceries delivered at later hours when the Bus is not running. The elderly can avoid using services on unrepeatable websites and trust an established business for their deliveries. Once families and students see how much time and energy they will save by using this service I am sure it will be easy to get cleints to participate.

Great read!
ReplyDeleteI have seen this type of grocery distribution in the past. I actually lived in New York for a period of time and found that receiving my groceries was much more convenient. Great point as to target college students and the elderly in Gainesville, however take a look at perishability. I had a huge issue with my fresh produce. Temperatures have a lot to do with the amount of time that goods remain edible. Overall great idea, essentially it would help the community with an alternative. If you'd like to check out my blog here is the link: http://lopezhaviana.blogspot.com/2016/03/week-12-venture-concept-no-1.html
There is a similar service in England where my family is from and I am quite jealous of it! As a colleges student it is often hard to find time to grocery shop and then I end up eating food out which isn't healthy or saving me any money. My venture is an app that tells you the current wait time at your favorite restaurants, we clearly have very similar target markets and would love it if you could check out my blog post as well: http://entweekly.blogspot.com/2016/03/venture-concept-no1.html
ReplyDeleteI for one would definitely use this service! As a student who cooks in their dorm, going to get groceries can often take upwards of an hour, especially depending on the traffic around Gainesville. I would be more than willing to pay a little extra to not have to worry about this inconvenience. I'm not sure if I would be able to consistently use it, but I would use it on certain occasions. As a whole, I think its a great idea, and good job with the assignment! Please check out my post at http://jdasher.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteHey Kaila, this is awesome. I am a lazy college student that does not own a car and does not enjoy waiting for buses in order to get groceries. I would using this all the time for my convenience in mh oddly organised. Here's my link: http://rdavidshay3.blogspot.com/2016/03/venture-concept-no-1.html
ReplyDelete